Wednesday, June 24, 2009

self assement for a great job

Self assessment for placements



Useful reminders to mba student the best time to prepare for group discussion and interviews are early in the academic year. This has two clear advantages

Skill are steadily built up, over time there by reducing the chances of last minute stress. Moreover it increases mental clarity and emotional self-awareness also arrive. Leading to better packaging of ones strengths on the d-day. Technical area oriented knowledge usually accompanies classroom inputs projects discussions, research and case study analysis. Which is often neglected is the later aspect of preparation, namely mental clarity and self-awareness.

Significance of intangibles

Self-awareness is vital to the placement at b schools

It increases the chances of an appropriate fit between interest and the job on hand

It allows the student to negotiate terms and suggest alternatives and come up with suitable options.

It allows for an expression of skills talents in snappy, pitchy sentences an art that is critical in frequently hurried interviews.

The consequent mental and emotional stability sets apart the candidate from the rest.

Know thyself. The following exercises, when sincerely and objectively done are useful in self awareness these work best when you write out the answers, instead of just articulating them in your mind the act of writing out things forces the mind to clear the cobwebs, while written words serves as a commitment made to self.


SWOT ANALYSIS

A simple listing out of your strength weakness opportunities and threats forms a useful starting point for gaining clarity.

Some of the questions that you should ask are

What are the things and areas that I am good at?

What is that I enjoy doing? Note that one may be good at doing several things but may genuinely enjoy only a few?

Which activities did I gravitate towards in school and college?

Which are the areas that I need nourishing and nurturing?

Am I defensive about my weak points?

What are my plans for wedding out the negatives from my personality or habits?

Given my talents and interests which are the areas in the industry and society and society that I can contribute?

Am I in danger of losing out on goals because of skills that might become obsolete ?

Do I have traits like complacence, which may undermine my success?


Johari window.

This is a useful tool in self-evaluation. one seek to understand four areas

What do I know about my self ,and is revealed to the world.

What I know about my self that others are not aware of.


What others know about me but I am not aware of (this can be answered by asking for an assement from few objective people.)


And what could possibly be unarticulated even to my self as well as others.

My dream job would be

If money , social acceptance and familiar expectations were no bars, what kind of work do I really want to do?

What are the five most imp things to do in my life?

What are the values that I stand for?

What are the areas in my life that I brook no compromise?

If I were to die tomorrow how would I want to fill my today?

What do I want to be remembered for. By my family , society , friends


Remember every person is unique. Find out what sets you apart. In a positive sense from others. Work towards bringing that awareness into every day thinking and behavior.


Irrespective of what we are conditioned to mistakenly believe, there is a platform for each person to show case his or her skills and knowledge. This conviction will enhance confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment